THE CITY OF NEW YORK
FOR THE YEAR 2017
We have received the following clarifying information from HPD regarding the Gas Leak, Smoke Detector, and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm notices that need to be posted in the common areas:
1. New CO and smoke detector notices are required to be installed.
2. A laminated notice, in good sturdy condition, is sufficient to comply with the requirement that it be durable and made of metal, plastic, or decal.
3. Keeping the notice (or notices) in a locked glass encasement or frame that is firmly secured to the wall in a common area is sufficient to comply with the requirement that the notice be substantially secured to the common area.
4. A complete, accurate interpretation of the Gas Leak notice may be provided in Spanish without incurring a violation as long as the required language is fully provided in English.
5. An additional step 4 may be added to the Gas Leak notice instructing tenants to contact a super or a managing agent as long as the required language is fully provided before this optional step, and as long as the language clearly states that step 4 is only to be followed after completing steps 1-3, e.g., “4. After completing steps 1-3, contact your management company, building staff, or super at [phone number] to notify them of the suspected leak.”
Also note that HPD is expected to begin enforcement immediately.